Please Join us on Christmas Eve for the first services in our newly renovated Nave!
About the project
Saint George's has been welcoming people at all stages of their spiritual journeys for over 100 years. While much about our community has changed during that time, our physical building has remained almost unchanged since its dedication in May, 1953.
In the Spring of 2012, St. George's Vestry commissioned two committees, a Buildings Possibilities Committee and a Fundraising Committee to enumerate the ways in which our buildings and resources could better carry out our mission and call. Shortly thereafter, St. George's began a carefully considered capital campaign and renovation project. Our renovation is nearing completion and our first services will be on Christmas Eve, December 24, 2016.
Those who came before us
Plans began for our sanctuary in 1948 and ground was broken in 1952. The plan was a very modern one. The church would be rectangular, rather than in the cruciform plan, and the altar was one of the first in the United States built away from the wall so the celebrant could face the congregation. The first service was held on Christmas Eve, 1952. As people filed in, the pews were still being nailed down.
Over the years other furnishings and changes have been made, such as the addition of the organ chamber, the addition of air conditioning, a new ceiling to improve acoustics, and a sound system, but the changes have been small and the nave has remained essentially the same.
This Renovation was as much about the past as it is about the present and future, as we build upon the hard work and perseverance of those who came before us to better serve those here now and those who will come in the future.